Champaign, IL asked in Juvenile Law and Small Claims for Illinois

Q: Me and my mom cosigned a car together, if I take the car and don't pay my half of the car, can she do anything

I am 17 years old and I don't want to see my mother when I leave my home to go to college. I begged my mum to let me buy a 3000 dollar car, instead, she bought a 20k car and now I pay 150 a month and she does too. I work part-time and make less than 400 a month. When college begins I won't be able to survive like that, making only 250 a month to live alone. I plan on moving across the country and I'm going to need the car to go that far. I'm going to empty my bank account so she can't take any money out of them when I do so she won't get the money from me to pay my half of the car. Can she take any legal action against me

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Mt Vernon, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Typically, a car cannot be owned by a 17 year old, so her name must be on the title. Is yours on there too? If you stop paying, then she may stop paying, and the car will likely be repossessed.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.