Cookeville, TN asked in Domestic Violence and Identity Theft for Tennessee

Q: What steps can I take to protect myself from financial abuse by my ex?

He has taken the information off my license and has my social security number and has already set up a credit karma account for me. I am in a program in which the government assigned me an address. But I’m afraid of him using my information when it comes to tax time (since I can legally claim the children) or accessing my credit reports again. The police said they can’t do anything, because we haven’t had our final hearing yet and are considered “one in the eyes of the court.” Please tell me how I can keep him from using my information in some way! Thanks!

1 Lawyer Answer
Johnny Quitman Rasberry
Johnny Quitman Rasberry
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Cordova, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: If you have an attorney, then tell your attorney. It sounds as if you are in a divorce proceeding and he may have violated the automatic injunction. If you do not have an attorney, get one.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.