Sun City Center, FL asked in Social Security for Florida

Q: I'm currently on SSI and medicaid ( for about 8 months now) due to an accident and will be receiving a settlement check

the amount is about 19,000.00 and I've been told I will lose my benefits even if I utilize the spend down. I currently have no place to live and would like to buy a car and rent an apartment. Will I be able to get my benefits back if I do this? I live in Fl. I have ongoing health issues and take daily medications which I cannot stop. I've called SS and they gave me wrong information concerning an ABLE account which does not pertain to me since my disability didn't happen before age 26. Help!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Prattville, AL

A: You may lose your SSI benefits for a time until you have spent down to the resource limit of $2,000 for unmarried individuals .

To minimize the loss of SSI, purchase goods and services in the same calendar month in which the lump sum is received. See SSA's Program Operations Manual System (POMS) at SI 01110.600.

Be careful of how you spend the amount because some purchases will still be counted as resources. Purchase exempt resources that will not count toward the resource limit. For example, a home and the land it is on that is your primary residence and one vehicle you use for travel. Make sure your name is on the deed and title. You can also spend to buy homeowners and car insurance. You can pay off any of your own outstanding debts. You could also pre-pay for funeral and burial expenses. Make sure to keep receipts of all purchases. For more information on exempt resources, see POMS SI 01110.210 and

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.