Chattanooga, TN asked in Family Law for Tennessee

Q: In Hamilton County Tennessee, what do I need to do to terminate child support payments?

My ex-wife and I share 1 daughter who is turning 18 and graduating high school both in May 2020. I pay monthly child support directly to my ex-wife per our divorce agreement. Is there a form I can secure somewhere and file with the court along with appropriate fees - or - do I need to secure an attorney to do this for me?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Johnny Quitman Rasberry
Johnny Quitman Rasberry
  • Cordova, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You cannot simply file something with the Court. You would need a motion to get an order terminating the child support. If there is an arrearage, then payments would continue to be taken. Your best course of action is to consult with Hamilton family law attorney who can take care of this for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.