Hopkins, MN asked in Tax Law and Elder Law for Minnesota

Q: How do I obtain copies of tax returns for my elderly mother

My sister has been handling my mother's finances but does not provide annual report of her income ( pension funds, stocks, bonds, annuities,) nor copies of her tax returns. I am her son and live-in caretaker. If my sister refuses to provide this, how can I obtain a copy of her tax returns? Is it illegal for my sister not to provide this and if so, what legal recourse do I have?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: File a request for transcripts, form 4056-T, under your mother's account and have her sign it.

As far as legality it depends on the the state of your mother's mental capacity and any court orders. if your mother is competent and sister is handling the finances you don't have any right to them without your mother's permission.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.