Dyersburg, TN asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Tennessee

Q: Paying support for years w/o a court order just by verbal agreement with other parent.

I have paid support on my child for 10 years with no C.O. Other parent is denying visitation now. If I take other parent to court and they find my support order should be more will I be held in arrears even though other parent never filed motion for child support in 10 years.

1 Lawyer Answer
Johnny Quitman Rasberry
Johnny Quitman Rasberry
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cordova, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: I hope you did not pay her in cash with no receipts. Currently, the Courts are instructed to only go back 5 years without a specific finding it should go back further. Additionally, if you have not be deemed to be the legal, not only the biological father of the child, then you must legitimize the child through a court ordered DNA test before you can get an order giving you parenting time. You need to consult an experienced family law attorney for assistance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.