Oklahoma City, OK asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Arkansas

Q: My child is in DHS custody do I have the right to sign over my custody or let someone adopt him

1 Lawyer Answer
James E Hensley Jr
James E Hensley Jr
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Conway, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: Until the DHS case is closed it is doubtful any other action will be considered. I understand you want to get the child out of DHS involvement but filing such an action will not help you in the DHS case. Typically you will have an attorney appointed in the DHS case. If so, you probably don't have a lot of access to him/her but they are pure gold helping you through the system. I would advise you to follow this lawyer's advice and also do what the Court has ordered you to do. Your caseworker is the person the Court will really consider so work hard following her suggestions. You have a short time to correct whatever made DHS take your child. Good luck with this. I know it is very unsettling.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.