Philadelphia, PA asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Property maintained solely for 30 years can someone just take it off me?

I maintained a small piece of land solely for over 30 years adjacent to my home i have proof ,pictures by the ton and borough letters etc Everyone including the d.o.c workers stopped right before this piece of property and never maintained it i did .Today the new president of council said i have to give it up i said go to court he said he will have my cars towed and crushed ,anything i can do bout this? Having issues getting a lawyer in the pandemic im told otherwise one of them would have taken it but im in luzerne county pa and in the red zone with courts closed etc but i said there has to be something i can do about it ? Please any help or advice or a lawyer who can take this its appreciated very very much

1 Lawyer Answer
Evan Charles Pappas
Evan Charles Pappas
  • Lemoyne, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: There is a concept known as "adverse possession" which, under the right circumstances, grants title to real estate to those who have maintained it for 21+ years. However, the rules are very particular and would also need to be asserted in court. I also have questions about the nature of the property (urban vs. rural) and whether the local municipality is the current owner.

We are willing to speak with you regarding this situation. If we believe your facts would support such a claim (or there is some other remedy available), we would consider representing you. You can reach me at


Evan Pappas

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.