Houma, LA asked in Medical Malpractice and Wrongful Death for Louisiana

Q: What is the procedure for a daughter to request copies of her recently deceased mother’s medical records in Louisiana?

Mom’s medical records, were accessible, via-the-online-patient-portal, at the facility, where she passed away, but, 2 hours after her death, the hospital “deactivated” her “online-patient portal account,” preventing, any further access, to all of her pending, & past, tests results. My mom lived with me and I was her sole caregiver. Please advise me how to obtain copies of my mother’s medical records, from the 3 hospitals that she was a patient in, during the course of 53 days. I would want copies of all medical tests performed prior to her death, including all laboratory test results with corresponding pathology analysis, of “positive” cultures, for blood, urine and/or tissues, all radiological, special imaging, ultrasounds, ECG reports, and pulmonary function tests. The name, dose & duration of antibiotic medications, and the exact dose of morphine & Ativan given to my mom, as per the doc & hospice nurse, & all physician’s & nurse’s notes. Any guidance will be very appreciated.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Contact the Records dept at each hospital

But my guess is you will have to open a succession or file a med mal suit to get them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.