Memphis, TN asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Tennessee

Q: Daughter's friend kicked out of her mother's home she is 17. Asking to move in with us. What are steps to make legal?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Johnny Quitman Rasberry
Johnny Quitman Rasberry
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cordova, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You are in a precarious situation. Harboring a runaway is a crime and if the mother wants to vengeful, she could make that argument. If you believe, as you question suggest, failure to provide for a minor is neglect and abuse. Everyone in Tennessee is a mandatory reporter for neglect and abuse. The Tennessee Child Abuse Hotline is 877-237-0004. Make a report to cover yourself and let them know the child is with you. Next, I would suggest that you retain an experienced family law attorney to assist you in filing a dependent and neglect action in Juvenile Court and ask for a protective custody order. That is the only way I know to quickly get a Court Order protecting the child and yourself. Good Luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.