Bettendorf, IA asked in Personal Injury for Iowa

Q: If someone plead guilty to assault related to a bar fight 2 years ago:

And is now the subject of a law suit asking $400k for damages in the form of pain, suffering, emotional distress. And he has already paid medical expenses and lost wages to the plantiff. If the judge/jury awards the damages, what is the likely structure of the settlement? Payments? Lump sum? Can the judgement be dismissed through bankruptcy?

Thanks for your time.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Erik Luthens
Erik Luthens
  • West Des Moines, IA
  • Licensed in Iowa

A: This is a complex situation that needs to be discussed with an Iowa attorney who handle dramshop litigation. I suggest that you immediately contact such an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.