Beaverton, OR asked in Contracts and Tax Law for Oregon

Q: Was garnished by state asked accountant for help he agreed to help and led me on for 6 months and did nothing.

I am still trying to get this straightened out. I paid H&R Block to handle back tax filings. They never file my 2018 return. Don't these people have a fiduciary responsibility? I suffered a significant financial loss due to their inaction. Do I have a case to sue them?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: First off H&R block are not accountants, they're return preparers regardless of their other certifications.

Second, they do have a responsibility but you're going to have file a lawsuit to get them to do much of anything once they've been paid. They do this all the time to people and it's a little infuriating.

The next question is what are your damages, which do not include the tax owed. How much did it cost you to fix this problem and how much of the interest and penalties could have been avoided if they did their job correctly the first time. Usually those damages are not high enough to justify a lawsuit. It's impossible to say without a closer inspection of the documents you signed and the facts of your situation.

I would look for a real CPA or tax attorney that cares about their clients and their reputation and hire them to get this fixed. While you're messing around with block the interest is running at the IRS, that's actually not true b/c of the pandemic but it will be soon.

You probably do have a case, I can't say either way, but it's likely your damages are too low to make a case worth the effort.

Find a professional you can have a relationship with and avoid the big name tax return factories.

Message me if you want to discuss further, I handle tax preparation and resolution in all 50 states.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.