Morganton, NC asked in Child Custody for Tennessee

Q: I was awarded custody of my 7 year old great grandaughter by juvenile court.what do I need to do to give my daughter

Custody if anything should happen to me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Johnny Quitman Rasberry
Johnny Quitman Rasberry
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cordova, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Was your daughter, the grandmother of the child? If so, was she considered for placement before you? The reason I am asking is if she was considered for placement or custody by the court and rejected, it will make it more difficult. If she was not considered by the court, and you feel comfortable with the child in her care she can file for custody with juvenile court and you can either join in the petition or simply agree with it. It will still be up to the court to make the decision. A will or directive will not be sufficient. I suggest you consult with a local experienced family law attorney for your best options particular to your case. Good Luck and thank you for stepping up to help the child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.