Saint Paul, MN asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Minnesota

Q: My ex has not allowed me to see my kids during the stay at home order in MN

Now she says I can only see them Outdoors and 6' away. I have a court order granting me visitation without stipulation other than date/time arrangement. I work from home and have not ventured out during this time. I think I should be allowed to have my kids in my home. Can she mandate this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sonja M. Nyberg
Sonja M. Nyberg
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • St. Paul, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: No she cannot and by doing so she is in violation of the court order as it applies to your parenting time. I currently know of no judicial officers who are suspending a parent's time with the children, or putting such drastic restrictions upon how and where it occurs, because of the pandemic. Your ex should be following the Court order. If she continues to fail to do so, you may need to ask the Court for assistance. I recommend speaking with an experienced family law attorney before you do so. Best of luck to you!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.