Newtown Square, PA asked in Probate for Arkansas

Q: Step dad died in AK I'm the executrix and beneficiary. He has 3 biological kids. What happens?

He died in AK. The will was drawn in PA, where I live. I know his kids have to be served. I was told if they contest I would most likely get nothing. I have 3 options, let the house rot, serve them and take my chances or serve them and offer a deal up front! I cant believe I would be entailed to nothing. They have not seen or spoken to him in 30 years. I have spent money to have him cremated and shipped to PA and paying some of his bills thinking I would get reimbursed through the estate. I need a second option on my options. If this is how it is then ok. I just cant believe this is it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Don Spears
Don Spears
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Benton, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: There are several questions that have to explored. When did he die? What were the terms of the will? (I would need to see the document). Without this information your question can not be answered.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.