Dearborn Heights, MI asked in Federal Crimes for Michigan

Q: What is the process of getting a motion filed for a federal prisoner to be released due to the covid 19 situation?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You will really want to get with an attorney who practices in federal court. I would also suggest contacting the person's prior attorney or the federal defenders office.

Just don't get your hopes up. If the person is not close to completing the sentence, or is otherwise healthy and with no significant risk factors (e.g. old age, debilitating conditions), and the prison is taking reasonable precautions, the motion probably won't go far. All courts have been flooded with these sort of motions and the resounding response from judges has been that COVID is not a "get-out-of-jail free" card, and that early release should be granted only when it benefits the prisoner AND the community / prison.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.