Omaha, NE asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Nebraska

Q: Am I able to call law enforcement to take off my missing persons report

I am 16 about to be 17 and I recently ran away from home and I have been keeping contact with my mom and she knows where I've been at but still doesn't want to take off my missing persons report, I have her consent and proof of it but she still tries to force me home.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: A parent can contact law enforcement when their child is a runaway. Often a child is still considered a runaway even if the parent knows where the child is but can't get the child back to the parent's home. A person who is harboring a runaway can have criminal charges brought against them. If a child is unsafe and afraid to go home, they should seek out a trusted adult. This could be a teacher, relative or another trusted adult. There are lawful ways for a child to live with another adult if the home is unsafe. Being a runaway is not a long-term solution.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.