Plano, TX asked in Probate for Louisiana

Q: My granddad’s property is still in his name but he and my dad have died. What is needed to transfer property to heirs?

Both Dad and Grandad died in Florida. The property is in Louisiana. There is an executor for the estate but they haven’t pursued addressing the property in LA since it is believed it will be the property of the two sons. The Executor is currently maintaining the land (empty lot). Both sons would like to pursue either forcing the estate to be open for succession or steps be taken to transfer the property accordingly. How do they go about forcing action to be taken? It’s been an outstanding item for four years after Dad’s passing in 2016. All estate business in Florida has been completed.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Christie Tournet
Christie Tournet
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Mandeville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You all can open what is called an ancillary succession here in Louisiana, if the Executor has only been appointed in Florida. How the land will be transferred depends upon how the land was titled, if there was a Will or not, and who the intestate heirs are. If the ancillary succession has been opened in Louisiana, you all may need counsel of your own to protect your interests in the succession. Best of luck.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.