Houston, AR asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Arkansas

Q: What would my best option be between getting emancipated or a transfer of guardianship?

I’m 17 (will be 18 in October) and completely finished with high school. I’m enrolled in college. I have a full time job and my house is almost completely finished for me to move into. My aunt has legal guardianship of me. Due to personal reasons, I no longer wish to be under her roof and wish to have a different guardian or be emancipated. I believe it is in my best interest to move out as do other people. My aunt and her household see otherwise. I have been told to try and get a transfer of guardianship or emancipated. What should I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Dumas
Paul Dumas
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Morrilton, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: Sounds like you should pursue emancipation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.