Dexter, MO asked in Child Support for Missouri

Q: could a child support be awarded and /or started?

me and my ex divorced in missouri. we have joint custody and no support awarded. i had primary custody. my child is 18yr old graduated highschool but is enrolled in college. he decided he wanted to live with his mom while he goes to college and she is talking about filing for support that i would have to pay till he is 21. can she do this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neil Smith
Neil Smith
  • Clayton, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Yes, it's possible. Support can be awarded until a child is 21. A court could also order you to contribute to the cost of college.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.