Jeannette, PA asked in Family Law and Child Support for Pennsylvania

Q: Full custody of my son for 8 yrs he wants to live w mom now if she goes for support can I get back support for the 8 yrs

She lives in Georgia now but had no support/barely any contact for 8 yrs I had our son

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kathryn Hilbush
Kathryn Hilbush
  • Media, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Not likely. You should have filed while you had custody of him. The PA support rules do not allow retroactivity of support orders beyond the date of filing for support. If you failed to file for support because you didn't want her trying to come back into your son's life or if you believed she couldn't/wouldn't pay what might be ordered, that decision may have been good at the time but it did limit your later ability to seek support for those past years.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.