Atlanta, GA asked in Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: What’s the least amount of time that you can get for felony theft By receiving

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Priscilla T. Upshaw
Priscilla T. Upshaw
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Powder Springs, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: The answer depends on the details of your case. If the value of the property is greater than $500, you could face a prison sentence of up to 10 years or up to 20 years if the stolen property is an automobile. These charges have serious consequences, therefore it is in your best interest to contact an attorney as soon as possible.

We are glad to assist you. Contact us whenever you are ready.

We wish you well.

-The Upshaw Law Firm, (770) 240-0922.

Sean McIlhinney agrees with this answer

Sean McIlhinney
Sean McIlhinney
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Norcross, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: This is a good question.

If the value of the property in a theft by receiving crime exceeds $500, the crime is considered a felony. A theft by receiving felony conviction carries a minimum sentence of one-year with a maximum sentence of 10 years.

However, the Judge has the discretion to allow a Defendant to serve his or her sentence on probation instead of jail.

There are also good defenses to this type of charge.

I always advise speaking to an experienced criminal defense attorney about the specific details about your case to truly understand all of your options.

I have been practicing criminal defense for over 20 years and can definitely help you with your defense if you like. My contact details are set out below.

Sean McIlhinney, Esq.

Cell: 404-932-3099

Office: 678-387-6920


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.