Asked in Immigration Law for New York

Q: I am a us citizen and i want to petition my parents to become us citizens who are living outside the us.

However my mother had been in the us before through illegal ways but she left and had not been there for 15 years. Does this affect the acceptance of the petition? Also how much does it normally take for the petition to get accepted and When are my parents allowed to go to the US?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Alexander Bates
John Alexander Bates
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Bridgeport, CT
  • Licensed in New York

A: You can apply for their green cards to be processed overseas. Since it has been 15 years a 10 year bar no longer applies. However, if she has a permanent bar, she would need a waiver.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.