Royal, AR asked in Estate Planning for Arkansas

Q: my husband and I have a Trust with a Will. My question is this: We want to change the Trustee to our son, as one of

Trustees has passed away. Do I need to take the original Trust to a lawyer to have the Trustee changed or can I make the change and both of us sign and have notarized. Our attorney lives 5 hours away and we would like to get this done soon. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jarred Kibbey
Jarred Kibbey
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: If your son was not named a Successor Trustee, then you would need to amend the Trust. It is highly recommended that you seek legal advice to make this change correctly. If you are only changing a Trustee, most estate planning attorneys would likely make that change relatively cheap.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.