Midland, MI asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Juvenile Law for Michigan

Q: Can a 12 year old boy be represented in the court by someone that’s 15 years old even if there is a legal attorney?

Even if the 12 year old has an attorney can the 15 year old boy be the main representative but under the guidance of an attorney?

This is not a true scenario but for the future is any of this possible? Also the 15 year old boy would know about the laws and know the rights, crimes, possible actions and everything.

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: No. Courts will recognize either the litigate or a licensed attorney appearing on behalf of the litigate. In some cases a person may have a "next friend" step in his or her shoes and can still have an attorney. The 15 year old in your scenario would not be recognized by a court as a representative unless he happened to also be a licensed attorney, which under current rules he could not be due to his age.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.