Millington, TN asked in Divorce for Tennessee

Q: If I filed for irreconcilable difference but was given and found proof of adultery after the filing can I change it

I received a recorded phone call from his girlfriend of 1 yr. I had no idea he was having an affair when I filed. How can I change my filing or how does that work exactly to add the adultery? Tipton County, TN

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Johnny Quitman Rasberry
Johnny Quitman Rasberry
  • Cordova, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: If you filed for divorce, had him served and he has not answered, then yes you can amend your complaint by filing an amended complaint for divorce. If he has filed his answer, then you must file a motion with the court to amend the complaint. If you have an attorney, then the attorney can do this for you. If you don't have an attorney, then you need one. If you only alleged irreconcilable differences, then you cannot get a divorce unless you both agree to everything. Get an attorney.

Anthony M. Avery agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.