Denver, CO asked in Family Law for Colorado

Q: Is there anything I can do If my sons father threatened twice that he’s going to sign over his parental rights?

We have been going through the courts since my son was 2 months old. We have had a parenting plan from May 5th 2019. He was given the first 3 weekends 1pm to 4pm both days and Wednesday’s 515-730. From May 2019-aug2019 he had seen him 18 of 30 visits. From September- December he seen him for 4 visits. He has not seen his son since Christmas Day. This is the 2nd time in less than a year that he has threatened to sign over his rights because he is not seeing his son. I have offered to meet him to change the parenting plan but he refuses. What can I do? Im not with anyone so having them adopt my son is out of the question.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cindy Perusse
Cindy Perusse
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Not sure what you mean by "sign over his rights." To who? If he has been determined to be the legal father then he doesn't get to just sign over his rights to the state. He is legally obligated to pay child support whether he sees his child or not. If you have a dispute about the parenting schedule then that can be changed if it is in the best interests of the child. Mediation is the smartest route to try to resolve things.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.