Maringouin, LA asked in Estate Planning for Louisiana

Q: Land in grandma name. Dad only living child. His home on property also. Wants me to inherit property. Next step?

Father inherited property from his mom. They both have homes on the property. He wants me to inherit bc I'm more responsible than my siblings. He and I pay the property tax and anything associated with the property. I also have a first cousin who feels she's entitled to all of it, even though she does not help take care of the property in any shape or form. What does he need to do in order for this to happen?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Christie Tournet
Christie Tournet
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Mandeville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Your father, as an heir, needs to open succession. If there is no Will, and your father is the only child, then, he may inherit. However, if there were other children that predeceased, then, their children may also have a right to inherit. You need to further discuss these specific circumstances with a counselor well versed in probate. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.