Deptford, NJ asked in Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania

Q: The property is in carbon county Albrightsville

I am 82 years old i have a property i bought in pa in 1969. i want to file for adverse possession on the land bordering my property because i have been using it for more than 21 years open hostile notorious and all that. How do i file and what do i need to do and how long does the process usually take

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Evan Charles Pappas
Evan Charles Pappas
  • Lemoyne, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Generally speaking, the process would require a legal filing in the Court of Common Pleas in Carbon County. The action would be filed against the current owner of the parcel that you are seeking to acquire, and possibly others. If the process is not contested you can expect the process to last at least a few months. If the action is contested by the current owner, and discovery may be necessary to determine the rights of the parties, the process could take up to a year or more as it works its way through the court process. It is recommended that you retain an attorney to assist you with the preparation of the documents necessary.

This is not intended to provide specific legal advice to you, or anyone else, and is only a general description of what may be required. You may feel free to contact me if you would like more information.

Peter N. Munsing agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.