Hiltons, VA asked in Uncategorized for Tennessee

Q: I took out an order of protection and an assault charge on my stepson back in 2019. I called less than a month later to

Have the charges dropped. The order of protection was lifted. I never appeared for follow up court dates and just want it dropped. The DA’s office said I had to appear in person. I have not been served a subpoena and just want this to go away for me and my stepson. Just a bad day but he received a charge and they are trying to bring this back up

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: The criminal charge is the State's Case, not yours. Since you have not been subpoenaed, you are not violating the Order of the Court by not showing up. But this type of Assault is serious and your StepSon needs a competent attorney to represent him. He needs it Diverted or Dismissed, then Expunged.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.