Omaha, NE asked in Adoption and Child Custody for Nebraska

Q: my cousin give me her baby and we type a paper saying that I have temp custody of her .what can I do ? to keep her

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Vanessa Jean Gorden
Vanessa Jean Gorden
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Lincoln, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: First, a typed paper alone is not enough for delegated parental authority unless it is notarized and uses this form:

Second, if the parent revokes the Temporary Delegation at any time, it is over.

If your cousin and the father are unfit to parent and you would like to assume legal guardianship of the child, or adopt the child you would need to file for guardianship or adoption in the county court where you reside. Depending on your circumstances, you could also reach out to NDHHS if you are concerned and see if they will step in to help and then you could seek placement through a juvenile court proceeding if one opens. You will definitely want to visit with a lawyer confidentially about the specifics of your case and how to proceed. Best wishes to you and your family!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.