Deptford, NJ asked in Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Do I have to close out of state to buy out of state land?

I am about to buy some land in PA from an old man in carbon county it has no home on it just forest land. I want to pay him the 1000 tomorrow and close the deal so I can start getting trees removed. How do I go about this process? We both like in New Jersey Can I just meet him at a closing agency around here and close the deal or do we need to go to a closing agency in PA

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You want to have a contract of sale, that sets out the land as described in the Carbon County records--this is called a deed. Now you can have a contract to have him convey to you the deed, but I would avoid doing any quick cutting until you are sure you are dealing with the owner, have your deed, have it recorded on. Otherwise, not seeing the deed, you could be buying into claims and other things.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.