Chicago, IL asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Missouri

Q: I live with and care for my grandfather. He has no will. How do I keep living in his house? What do I do?

No will. Only grandfathers name and name of ex wife on deed. No other assets. I’ve been here for one year caring for him 24/7 off of a $200 per month allowance from aunt whom at the time had a joint bank account with my grandfather. My question is:

I am POA medically and financially for my grandfather. Since my grandfather had no will, what should my next step be? I live here with my fiancé and our 13 year old son. This is our home. How do we keep it? We have no money and no credit. The home was basically in shambles When we moved in and we’ve done tons of work on it, paid for with our own savings. We don’t know what to do next. The hospice nurse gave him a week today.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jennifer Sheila Kornblum
Jennifer Sheila Kornblum
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Springfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Without a will, you will have no legal right to the home when your grandfather passes. If he is competent and wants you to have it after he dies, he can sign a Beneficiary Deed that will leave it to you. Unfortunately, your care for him and improvements to the house will not earn you the right to the house later.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.