York, PA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Pennsylvania

Q: My husband(we're separated) overdosed and attempted suicide 5 days ago. He's in the hospital on a psychiatric unit for 3

More days. I'm concerned for our children's safety and want to seek full custody. They chose to live with me. He moved out. There's a history of domestic abuse from him which the kids and I are receiving counseling at Victim Services through the YWCA.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Norristown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Sounds like you have very valid grounds in which to file an emergency petition to modify custody -- if there's even a custody order in place at all (which is unclear from your question). If not, you should certainly seek one. If so, you could file an emergency petition to seek your appropriate relief.

Recognize, however, that Pennsylvania courts are in various stages of re-opening during the pandemic, so make sure you check with your particular county court. It would also be extremely helpful for you to consult with local counsel who can guide your through any and all filings, as well as advise you on the specific re-opening practices in your county.

Best of luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.