Pittsburgh, PA asked in Business Formation for Pennsylvania

Q: What to do if someone wants to buy a food recipe off you for a business and you want a percentage of the company

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: You will need to enter into a trade secret agreement in which in exchange for letting them know the recipe, you would get some percentage. Best to work with an attorney in the drafting of the agreement.

Michael Cherewka
Michael Cherewka
  • Wormleysburg, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: you really need to meet with your own business attorney to discuss not only the sale of the recipe but also all the issues with being a less than 50% owner in someone else's business. you may prefer a royalty agreement (% of sales) to being a co-owner

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.