Chesterfield, MO asked in Elder Law for Missouri

Q: My 90 yr old mother wants to sell her home and give the money to her 3 children.

She lives with me and I was wondering if we would have to pay the money back if I have to place her in a nursing home?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sharon M. Siegel
Sharon M. Siegel
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • New York, NY

A: It depends on several factors. For example, did the children contribute to the upkeep of the house, other gifts she has made and is she competent, just to name a few. There are more beneficial ways of doing this transaction which will satisfy her goals. You should consult an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.