Saint James, MO asked in Probate and Estate Planning for Missouri

Q: My husband's mom just passed away. Her house was only under her and her deceased mom's name. My husband's dad and older

Sister are the survivors. His dad and sister want nothing to do with the house so every one wants to put it in my husband's name. However, she left no will no beneficiary, nothing. What do we do from here?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: Hire a competent attorney to search the title. You will probably need an Affidavit of Heirship, and a Quit Claim Deed for the other Heirs to convey their interests over to your Husband. He will need to immediately start paying taxes, and any mortgages.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.