Madison, WI asked in Immigration Law for Wisconsin

Q: NVC terminated immigrant visa registration. Still eligible for adjustment of status?

I have an approved I-130 petition with a priority date of Feb 2009. At the time of petition it was in the F2B category. In Feb 2012 we upgraded it to the F1 category. In 2014, after I got married, we thought we updated it to F3, but NVC does not have a record of it and they still have my old address. I've been checking the visa bulletin based on the F3 category, which just became available for my priority date. The NVC however had sent communication to my old address in 2015 since the F1 visa was available then, but of course I didn't get it and so didn't respond. They've now terminated the case on their end. When I check the USCIS case status, it still says approved.

I am in the US on an H1B visa. Can I file an I-485 (adjustment of status) since the I-130 is still approved? Will USCIS contact NVC, and deny the adjustment since NVC canceled the case on their end?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Osarumwense Iyamu
Osarumwense Iyamu
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Ocala, FL

A: An approved I – 130 petition remains valid until used to obtain a permanent resident status or until revoked.

If my office can be of further assistance, contact us to schedule a consultation.

The above information does not constitute legal advice nor create an attorney-client relationship.

Good luck with your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.