Derby, KS asked in Criminal Law for Colorado

Q: Can the DA use old non convicted cases against me in court on a new case?

Also curious as to if its legal for my attorney to speak with the da about things I said to him in confidence and reasons as to why my paid attorney would be working against me?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr.  H. Michael Steinberg
Mr. H. Michael Steinberg pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Greenwood Village, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: The answer to the first question depends on whether the old cases are relevant and admissible at trial. In most instances the hurdles to admitting that kind of evidence are insurmountable.

As for the second question - if you tell your lawyer something you want kept confidential that information cannot be shared with anybody for any reason unless you intend to commit a crime.

As for the last question - I cannot help with that - you need to trust your lawyer and if you don’t - get a new lawyer. Period.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.