Chalmette, LA asked in Environmental for Louisiana

Q: if i am watering my plants in my yard and the water runs off naturally into my neighbors yard. is this my fault?

he said it is against the law for me to put water onto his property..but i did not do so knowingly

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Environmental Law Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: This is something a Louisiana attorney could advise best on, but your post remains open for four weeks. It could depend on surface water doctrine followed in Louisiana. Different jurisdictions have different rules for water run-off. But if you're talking about some minimal quantity of water from watering your plants, it might be better to be respectful to your neighbor's wishes if they are reasonable. If using a little less water avoids your neighbor having to slosh through mud in their yard, there could be something to be said for that approach. If both of you can help preserve good a good relationship, that could be a better approach than going to court over watering some plants. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.