Kodak, TN asked in Family Law for Tennessee

Q: Lived with someone who owned their home. We didn't marry. 3 years later im moving out now can't get my belongings?

I lived with someone almost three yrs in a relationship that has now ended. I have two kids who came with me into the home, I paid bills, received mail etc. Now I'm being told I cannot retrieve mine or my kids belongings. Not sure where to turn or whom to ask how to proceed much less understanding the law or my rights in this matter? I apologize if this isn't a question for this forum just not sure what mine and my kids rights are in a matter like this? Thank you for your assistance and direction ahead of time!!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You can file an Action To Recover Personal Property in General Sessions Court. This can usually be done without an attorney in your type of situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.