Maitland, FL asked in Employment Law and Agricultural Law for Florida

Q: Is this illegal?

This is an agriculture business, one of my employees was demanding a raise or he was quiting and having another employee fired or else he was quiting, which neither happened. At the same time he had his car repossessed and was blaming it on the fact that the company doesn't pay him enough (he is paid over minimum wage).... My company was under the impression he quit due to not receiving a raise, due to the other individual not being terminated and the fact that he lives over an hour away and now has no way to commute to work after missing several days. I have text messages back and forth of him saying he has to quit then flip flopping and acting like he still is employed. I buntly asked him if he quit but then he just continued to send arugmentative texts which I forwarded to my boss. Who submitted the documentation saying the employee quit and advised me the same day. The employee is now saying he is going to sue myself and the company for discrimination/wrongful termination...?

1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Is what illegal? He can quit, of course, or you can fire him under most circumstances. What would his "wrongful termination" claim be; it's not enough for him to complain that he was fired "wrongfully", employment is generally "at will", which means that an employer doesn't need a reason to let an employee go, as long as it isn't some sort of discrimination.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.