Brooklyn, NY asked in Immigration Law for New York

Q: Good day Why is i751 case transfered to different offices

I applied for my i751 in January 2019

For 14 months receipt number was not recognized on the system.

Me and my spouse moved to a different city in the same state updated our address.

Then the reciept number was recognized

17 months passed submitted an inquiry

Then status changed 24 hours later to case was transferred to different office

And a second email followed stating case was transferred to local office for interview.

On the website for “egov” Update states “case was transferred to different office” not local.

On my USCIS website is states “we’ve received your case nothing is needed at this time etc..”

I filed from Nyc to Vermont .

I’m just trying to figure out should I be ready for an interview because me and my spouse separated 2 months ago (very abusive, have emails of threats to kill me and my kids) because I don’t want to give my entire paycheck to him and many other factors. I have filed a police report what else should I do I’m really stressed

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
John Alexander Bates
John Alexander Bates
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Bridgeport, CT
  • Licensed in New York

A: If your spouse abused you, may be able to get the green card despite the fact that you separated. Time to speak with a lawyer.

Howard E. Knispel
Howard E. Knispel
  • Commack, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: THIS IS NOT A FAMILY LAW QUESTION. You need to get advice from immigration attorneys.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.