Eugene, OR asked in Divorce, Family Law and Small Claims for Oregon

Q: I was awarded spousal support in my divorce. My ex suddenly stopped paying it. With limited resources, what can I do?

I have tried to reach out to him but he will not respond to my calls/texts/emails but I do know he is working. I don't live in the area where he resides and where our divorce took place either, so that makes it difficult as well. What can I do to compel him to pay the support that he owes? He is now 5 months delinquent. Thank you for your time.

1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: This is really a matter best taken up with your divorce lawyer since they are the most familiar with all the details of your case. You likely have options such as asking the divorce court to find him in contempt of court (that usually gets results) for failing to pay per the court order; you can turn the collection over to the State of Oregon who will then send you checks timely and go after him for reimbursement (the catch being they take part of your payment for their time and effort); and perhaps other choices. But talking with your divorce lawyer is the place to start.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.