La Vergne, TN asked in Child Support for Tennessee

Q: Can the expenses be collected through child support? Or Do you need to request a deviation moving forward?

Modification to an order states that: The parties shall continue being responsible for the same uncovered expenses, but the Mother shall henceforth pay 82% of the uncovered expenses with Father paying 18% of those expenses.

Can the following expenses that have been paid by the father be brought to the child support office to be collected on?

Medical Expenses

School and Church Camps

Sports- Volleyball and Cheer expenses

School club fees

High school college credits

Car insurance

If not, could a deviation be requested?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul E. Tennison
Paul E. Tennison
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: No, the child support office will not be interested in attempting to sort out the payment of expenses. I recommend you consult with an attorney. In general, the best way to proceed if one of the parents is failing to pay their portion of expenses is to proceed with a petition for contempt. Contempt is a court action through which one party holds the other accountable for failing to follow a valid court order. You should also likely ensure you are quite clear with the other parent about the amount owed and that you will take legal action to rectify if not timely paid. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.