Mackinaw, IL asked in Juvenile Law for Illinois

Q: Should parent of minor communicate with the State's Attorney, before court, about a ticket her child received?

The officer received a phone report of a white truck driving fast on a rural road. The officer pulled the minor over as he was leaving a bank drive thru (driving 10 mph). The minor was scared because he had a small amount of state dispensary marijuana in his truck. He immediately handed it to the officer. The officer did not write a ticket for the speeding, but did for a minor in possession of an adult substance. The minor intends on arguing the validity of the reason for the initial stop. The parent would like to discuss the issue with the State's Attorney, and provide her with background information that may be relevant but is unsure if this would be a good idea or not.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Mt Vernon, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Ansolutely not. Discuss the case with some criminal defense lawyers and hire one.

George W. Svoboda agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.