Orlando, FL asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Florida

Q: So my 17 year old sister got pregnant and she ran away to her boyfriends house.

She told my parents now that she is pregnant she is emancipated. They told her she needs to go to court first to get emancipated but she refused and left. Is that true we live in Florida. Do my parents need to file a runaway child case with the police. Will they get in trouble if she misses school. Do they have the right to tell her to come home or call the cops on the boyfriends parents for sheltering a minor?

1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: No, she is not emancipated simply because she is pregnant. See


Your parents certainly may advise the police that she has run away and that the boyfriend's parents are sheltering her.

Charles M. Baron agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.