Colorado Springs, CO asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury and Domestic Violence for Colorado

Q: Can a 17 year old press charges on a 20 year old without parental consent or do the parents need to approve?

So my sister is 17 and we’ve been fighting a lot. I’m 20 and she tells me if I get into a physical altercation with her she’ll press charges. We live in the same house but the address on my ID is different. Can I get into trouble for physically fighting with her? I also have a daughter so if i do get into trouble what would happen with my daughter?

1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Anyone can report a crime to the police.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.