Akron, OH asked in Real Estate Law for Tennessee

Q: Deed to property has my name and my fiance's name on it. What are my legal rights to the property

If he passes away before we are married, with or without a will... What are my rights to the property? Both our names are on the deed.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You did not give the exact granting clause. But I assume both of you are Tenants In Common of One/Half Undivided Interests each. Have a lawyer, even in OH look at the Deed and tell you what it says. If T in C then the 1/2 Interests go to the respective Decedents' Heirs or Devisees. Other Estates might involve survivorship, remainders, etc.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.