Southern Pines, NC asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Arkansas

Q: I am a beneficiary having issues with personal representative, should I contact his attorney or get a attorney myself?

My brother was a resident and died in Arkansas in 2014, leaving no known will. No wife or children. 3 siblings and one was appointed personal representative.He lives and works in Arkansas and bond was also waived. Have never been provided any documentation of estate, real estate property has been used by personal rep with no notice to benefs. Now almost 6 years later, contacts and is demanding to have interests by other siblings signed over to him, making him sole beneficiary. Should I contact the attorney he has on record who drew up the reps papers or should I retain an attorney to seek and demand an accounting of estate to get documentation? This is not not a sizable estate. Equity in home and a vehicle is the majority likely, but as I said, have no real idea as have never been supplied with any documention of the inventory or any accounts. I live in NC and other sibli g lives in MD.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: You definitely need your own attorney. The other attorney does NOT represent you.

Stewart Whaley
Stewart Whaley
  • North Little Rock, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: It sounds like you need an attorney. The probate administration should not take ten years. Your sibling who was appointed at PR for the estate is not fulfilling his or her duty. If you would like to reach out for a consult, you can contact me at(501) 891-6000 or at

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.